The Beautiful Space Between
I recently came across a quote that said, "You've left the old life behind. The new one hasn't arrived yet. You're standing in the middle. That place has a name. It's called becoming." I read those words several times because they described a season of life I know all too well. I think most of us imagine life unfolding in neat, predictable chapters. One chapter ends, another begins, and somehow we're supposed to know exactly where we belong. But real life rarely works that way. More often than not, we find ourselves standing somewhere in between. We've said goodbye to the life we once knew, but we haven't quite found our footing in the life that's still unfolding. It can feel uncertain, uncomfortable, and even lonely. Yet I've come to believe that some of life's greatest growth happens right there in the middle.
When I look back over my own life, I can clearly see those in-between seasons now, although I couldn't recognize them while I was living them. At the time, they simply felt confusing. I wanted answers. I wanted certainty. I wanted to know where everything was leading. Instead, life kept asking me to trust the next step without showing me the entire path. That isn't easy for someone who likes plans, checklists, and knowing what's around the corner. I always thought if I worked hard enough and planned carefully enough, life would unfold more or less the way I expected. Then life reminded me that some of the biggest moments arrive without warning.
When Tim became sick, it felt as though the life we had been building suddenly disappeared beneath our feet. One ordinary day turned into countless doctor appointments, hospital visits, tests, specialists, and eventually a diagnosis that neither of us had ever heard of before. Overnight, we stepped into a world we never expected to be part of. Looking back, I realize we were living in that space between. We had left behind the life that felt familiar, but we had no idea what the future would look like. We couldn't return to who we had been, and we weren't yet the people we would eventually become.
At the time, that uncertainty felt incredibly frustrating. I wanted answers. I wanted to know whether Tim would recover completely, whether life would ever feel normal again, whether the financial worries would ease, and whether all the paperwork, waiting, and uncertainty would eventually come to an end. I kept looking toward the future, hoping that once we reached whatever the next chapter was, everything would finally make sense. What I didn't realize then was that life wasn't asking me to figure out the future. It was quietly shaping me in the present.
I think we often underestimate what happens during seasons of waiting. We tend to see them as interruptions, delays, or detours. We tell ourselves that real life will begin once we get through this difficult season, once the diagnosis improves, once retirement arrives, once the children leave home, once we find a new job, or once life finally settles down. We spend so much energy waiting for the next chapter that we fail to notice what God is doing in the chapter we're already living.
Looking back now, I can honestly say I wouldn't have chosen the path we've walked, but I also can't deny how much it has changed me. It has taught me patience in ways comfortable seasons never could. It has taught me compassion for people whose struggles aren't immediately visible. It has reminded me that tomorrow isn't guaranteed and that ordinary moments are often the ones worth cherishing most. It has shown me strength I didn't know I possessed and introduced me to a purpose I never imagined. None of those lessons arrived overnight. They were formed slowly, one ordinary day at a time, while I was busy wishing I could skip ahead to the ending.
I've come to believe that becoming is rarely dramatic. It's usually quiet. It happens while you're filling out paperwork, making dinner, sitting beside someone you love, praying for answers, showing up to work, or simply putting one foot in front of the other when you don't feel particularly brave. Most of the time, we don't even notice we're changing because growth doesn't usually announce itself. We only recognize it when we look back and realize we're responding differently than we once would have.
One of the greatest surprises of this season has been discovering dreams I never expected to have. If someone had told me a few years ago that Tim would be writing stories, creating music, and that together we'd build Seizing Hope to encourage people living with PNES, I probably wouldn't have believed them. None of that was part of our original plan. Yet here we are. The life we once imagined may be gone, but something new has been quietly taking shape in its place. It isn't the life we expected, but that doesn't mean it can't be meaningful. Sometimes the most beautiful chapters are the ones we never would have written ourselves.
I also think becoming requires letting go of who we thought we had to be. There are seasons when we cling so tightly to our old identity that we don't leave room for the new one to emerge. We keep trying to return to the person we were before life changed, not realizing that life has already begun transforming us into someone wiser, more compassionate, and more resilient. Change can feel like loss in the beginning, but sometimes it's actually making room for growth we couldn't have experienced any other way.
If you're standing in the middle of your own story right now, wondering where life is taking you, I hope you'll give yourself permission not to have every answer. I hope you'll stop measuring your progress by how quickly you've reached the next destination and instead recognize the quiet work happening inside you today. Becoming isn't about arriving. It's about allowing life, faith, love, and even hardship to shape you into the person you're meant to become.
I've stopped asking life to hurry quite as often as I once did. That doesn't mean I enjoy uncertainty or that waiting has suddenly become easy. It simply means I've learned to trust that not every unanswered question is a sign that something is wrong. Sometimes we're simply living in the space between what was and what will be. Sometimes God is doing His deepest work in the seasons where we feel like nothing much is happening at all.
Today, when I look at my life, I don't see someone who has arrived. I still have dreams I'm chasing, lessons I'm learning, and questions I don't yet have answers to. But I no longer see that as a problem to solve. I see it as evidence that my story is still being written. There is something deeply comforting about knowing I don't have to have it all figured out today because tomorrow will bring its own opportunities to grow, to learn, and to become a little more of the person God created me to be.
Maybe that's the beauty of the middle. It isn't a place where we're lost. It isn't a place where life has forgotten us. It's the place where transformation quietly happens. It's where yesterday begins to loosen its grip, tomorrow begins to take shape, and today's ordinary moments slowly become the foundation for a future we can't yet fully see.
Perhaps that's why this season has a name after all.
It's called becoming.

Comments