Keep Being You
There comes a point in life when you realize that no matter what you do, someone will have an opinion about it. They'll think you're working too hard or not hard enough. They'll believe you're too quiet or too outspoken. They'll question your decisions without knowing the circumstances that led to them. They'll make assumptions based on a single moment while never seeing the countless moments that came before it. For a long time, I found that incredibly frustrating. I wanted to be understood. I wanted people to know my intentions. I wanted fairness. As I've gotten older, though, I've realized something that has brought me an incredible amount of peace. Most people's opinions are formed from a perspective that is far smaller than the life you're actually living.
Every one of us is carrying a story that the world rarely gets to see. People see the smile you wear at work, but they don't see the sleepless night that came before it. They notice the decision you made, but they don't know the hundreds of conversations, prayers, worries, and sleepless hours that led you there. They may judge how you respond to a situation without ever knowing what you've been carrying for weeks, months, or even years. We all make judgments based on the limited information we have, and while that's part of being human, it's also a reminder that other people's opinions are often incomplete.
I've learned this lesson more than once over the past few years. Looking from the outside, someone might have seen me going to work every day, carrying on conversations, smiling, and handling responsibilities as if everything was normal. What they couldn't see was everything happening beneath the surface. They couldn't see the doctor's appointments, the insurance paperwork, the endless phone calls, the uncertainty surrounding Tim's health, or the quiet moments spent wondering what the future might look like. They couldn't see the emotional energy it took just to keep moving forward. If someone had judged me based on what they saw from a distance, they would have been missing most of the story.
The truth is, that's probably true for everyone we meet. We rarely know the whole picture. The coworker who seems distracted may be caring for an aging parent. The friend who hasn't returned your call may be quietly struggling with anxiety. The neighbor who seems impatient may have just received difficult news. We all carry things that aren't immediately visible, which is why I've become much slower to judge other people than I once was. The older I get, the more I realize how little I actually know about someone else's journey.
Ironically, even though I try not to judge others, I've spent far too much of my own life worrying about being judged. I think many of us do. We second-guess our decisions because we're concerned about what someone else might think. We hesitate to try something new because we're afraid of failing publicly. We edit ourselves to fit into places where we were never meant to belong. We spend precious energy trying to meet expectations that were never ours to carry. Looking back now, I wish I had understood sooner how much freedom comes from realizing that you don't need everyone's approval in order to live an authentic life.
One of the most important lessons life has taught me is that the people offering the strongest opinions often have struggles of their own that we know nothing about. That isn't meant as criticism. It's simply reality. None of us have life completely figured out. Every one of us is learning as we go, making mistakes, growing, changing, and trying to become a little wiser than we were yesterday. Remembering that has helped me put criticism into perspective. The person judging my choices isn't viewing them from a place of complete understanding because none of us possess that kind of perspective. They're simply viewing my life through the lens of their own experiences, beliefs, fears, and expectations.
That realization has become incredibly freeing because it reminds me that I don't have to let someone else's opinion become my identity. Constructive feedback is valuable, and I hope I always remain teachable. But there's a difference between learning from wise counsel and allowing every passing opinion to determine how I feel about myself. If we spend our lives chasing universal approval, we'll constantly be changing direction depending on who's speaking the loudest. At some point, we have to become confident enough in our own values to continue walking the path we believe is right, even when not everyone understands it.
I've also discovered that confidence doesn't mean believing you're always right. It means trusting that you've made the best decision you could with the information, wisdom, and circumstances you had at the time. There will always be people who think they would have handled your situation differently. Perhaps they would have. But they weren't living your life. They weren't carrying your responsibilities, your fears, your experiences, or your hopes. It's much easier to judge a chapter when you've never had to live inside it.
As I've gotten older, I've become far more interested in living with integrity than living for approval. Integrity means doing the right thing even when it isn't popular. It means making decisions you can sleep peacefully with, even if they aren't applauded by everyone around you. It means staying true to your values when it would be easier to compromise them in order to fit in. That kind of life won't always earn universal praise, but it will earn something far more valuable: self-respect.
I think social media has made this lesson even more important. We now live in a world where opinions are shared instantly, often by people who know almost nothing about us. It's easy to begin believing that every criticism deserves our attention or that every stranger's opinion somehow carries equal weight. I've learned that it doesn't. The voices that deserve the most space in my life are the people who know my heart, who have walked beside me through difficult seasons, who have earned the right to speak honestly because they've consistently shown love and respect. Everyone else is simply seeing a tiny snapshot of a much bigger story.
So if there's one thing I hope to remember, it's this: keep doing what you know is right. Keep showing up for the people you love. Keep growing. Keep learning. Keep extending kindness even when it isn't returned. Keep chasing the dreams that matter to you. Keep becoming the person you were created to be. There will always be people who misunderstand your journey or question your choices, but their opinions don't have the power to define your worth unless you hand them that power.
Life is simply too short to spend it trying to convince everyone that you're enough. The people who truly know you don't need constant explanations, and the people determined to misunderstand you probably wouldn't be persuaded anyway. I'd rather spend my energy becoming a better person than trying to become a more acceptable version of myself in someone else's eyes.
So keep doing what you're doing. Keep growing, keep learning, keep loving, and keep moving forward. Let other people have their opinions if they choose. Everyone is figuring life out one day at a time, and none of us are writing our stories from a place of perfection. The only life you have the responsibility to live is your own. Live it with honesty, live it with kindness, and live it in a way that allows you to look back years from now knowing you stayed true to yourself. In the end, that's the opinion that matters most.

Comments