Finding My People

If there's one thing I've learned about myself over the years, it's that I've never quite fit neatly into the crowd, and somewhere along the way, I finally stopped seeing that as a flaw. There was a time when I desperately wanted to understand why I always felt just a little different. I wasn't the loudest person in the room, I wasn't naturally drawn to large groups, and I've never been someone who could effortlessly make small talk with strangers. I used to think there was something wrong with me because I didn't seem to move through the world the way so many other people did. It took me a long time to realize that I wasn't broken. I was simply wired differently, and that's a very different thing.

I've always been quiet when I'm surrounded by people I don't know well. Some people mistake that for shyness, others assume I'm unfriendly, and a few probably think I'm simply awkward. The truth is much simpler than that. I don't open up quickly because I value genuine connection more than surface-level conversation. I've never been good at talking just to fill silence. I'd rather have one meaningful conversation than spend an evening exchanging polite small talk that neither person will remember the next day. It isn't that I don't enjoy people. I simply enjoy people differently.

What's funny is that the people who only know me casually would probably describe me as reserved. The people who truly know me would probably laugh at that description. Put me in a room with people I trust, people who make me feel safe, and you'll see a completely different side of me. I'll laugh until my stomach hurts. I'll tell stories. I'll share ideas that probably seem a little unusual. I'll get excited over books, Disney, photography, writing, or some new project I'm dreaming about. I'll happily spend hours talking about life, faith, hope, or the things that make us who we are. The difference isn't that I suddenly become someone else. It's that I finally feel safe enough to be completely myself.

For a long time, I judged myself for that difference. I watched people who seemed to effortlessly move from one conversation to another and wondered why that wasn't easier for me. I admired people who could walk into a room full of strangers and leave with a dozen new friends. I quietly assumed that confidence looked like being outgoing, and because that wasn't naturally who I was, I convinced myself I needed to change. Looking back now, I wish I could go back and tell my younger self that there was never anything wrong with her. She didn't need to become louder. She simply needed to find the people who appreciated her quiet.

One of the beautiful things about getting older is that you slowly stop trying to earn your place in rooms where you never really belonged. Instead, you begin looking for the places where your soul can finally exhale. Those places are surprisingly rare, but when you find them, you know. They're the conversations where you don't rehearse what you're going to say before you say it. They're the friendships where silence isn't uncomfortable because neither person feels pressured to perform. They're the people who don't need you to become someone different in order to be accepted. Around them, you stop editing yourself because you realize you don't have to.

I think many of us spend years trying to fit into groups that were never meant for us. We adjust our personalities, hide parts of ourselves, laugh at jokes we don't find funny, or stay quiet about the things we're passionate about because we don't want to seem different. We become experts at blending in, but somewhere in the process we lose sight of who we actually are. The strange thing is that even when we succeed at fitting in, we often still feel lonely because the version of ourselves people accepted wasn't completely real.

I've discovered that authenticity has a way of narrowing your circle, but deepening your relationships. When you stop pretending, some people naturally drift away because they were more comfortable with the version of you that was trying to fit their expectations. At first, that can feel like loss. It certainly did for me. But over time, something remarkable happens. The people who are meant to be in your life begin finding their way to you, not because you've become more impressive, but because you've become more genuine.

I don't have a huge circle of friends, and years ago I probably would have seen that as something I needed to fix. Today, I see it differently. The friendships I have are built on honesty, trust, laughter, and the freedom to simply be ourselves. These are the people I can call when life falls apart, and they're also the people who celebrate with me when life is good. They know my quirks, my worries, my dreams, and my heart. They don't expect perfection, and I don't expect it from them. We've moved beyond trying to impress one another and settled into something much more valuable: acceptance.

I've also learned that belonging isn't about finding people who are exactly like us. Some of the people I love most have lives that look very different from mine. We have different interests, different personalities, and different experiences. What connects us isn't sameness. It's safety. It's knowing we can disagree, be ourselves, and still feel valued. That's the kind of belonging I think we're all searching for. Not a place where everyone thinks alike, but a place where everyone is free to be themselves without fear of judgment.

The older I get, the more convinced I am that nearly everyone is walking around carrying the same quiet hope. We all want to feel seen for who we really are. We want someone to know the parts of ourselves we usually keep hidden and still choose to stay. We want conversations where we don't have to pretend everything is fine. We want relationships that feel like coming home after a long day. We want to know that we're enough exactly as we are, not because we've earned acceptance, but because someone genuinely values us.

It took me many years to reach that understanding, and I'm grateful I finally did. Today, I no longer measure my life by the size of my social circle or by how well I fit into someone else's idea of who I should be. I measure it by the quality of the relationships I have, the peace I feel when I'm with the people I love, and the freedom I've found in simply being myself. That freedom is worth far more than popularity ever could have been.

If I've learned anything from this journey, it's that belonging isn't about becoming the person everyone else expects you to be. It's about becoming comfortable enough in your own skin that the right people can finally find the real you. Those people may not be many, but they will be enough. They'll remind you that you were never too quiet, too different, too awkward, or too unusual. You were simply waiting for the people who would see those very qualities as part of what makes you who you are.

I spent a lot of years wondering why I didn't fit in. Today, I'm thankful I never completely did. Trying to belong everywhere would have meant losing the very parts of myself that eventually led me to the people who truly feel like home. And after sixty-five years of learning, growing, and becoming more comfortable with who I am, I can honestly say that I wouldn't trade that kind of belonging for anything.

Comments

Popular Posts