Choosing Peace

I came across a quote recently that said, "I've been through too much in my life, but my life finally feels calm, grounded, and peaceful. If someone's presence doesn't bring ease, I'm good without it." As I read those words, I found myself nodding because they described something I've been feeling for quite a while now. It's not that I've become less social or less interested in people. It's that life has changed me. The older I've become and the more I've experienced, the more I've realized that peace isn't something you accidentally stumble upon. It's something you intentionally protect. Once you've fought hard enough to find it, you become much more careful about what—and who—you allow to disturb it.

If someone had asked me a few years ago what I wanted most out of life, my answers probably would have been very different. I would have talked about retirement someday, traveling more, spending time with family, maybe crossing a few things off my bucket list. I certainly never imagined that one ordinary day in March of 2024 would completely change the direction of our lives. When Tim suddenly collapsed and began having seizures, everything we thought we knew about our future shifted. What followed wasn't a few difficult weeks or months. It became a journey filled with hospitals, specialists, endless testing, uncertainty, and eventually a diagnosis of PNES that neither of us had ever heard of before.

Those first months felt like living in a world where the ground constantly shifted beneath our feet. There were so many questions and so few answers. Every doctor appointment brought hope that we might finally understand what was happening, and every setback reminded us how unpredictable life could be. Alongside the emotional weight came all of the practical realities that nobody prepares you for. There was disability paperwork, insurance companies, financial uncertainty, legal processes, medication changes, and the countless details that somehow still had to be managed while trying to support the person you love. At the same time, life outside our home continued moving. I still had a full-time job. Bills still had to be paid. Responsibilities didn't pause simply because our world had been turned upside down.

When you're living through something like that, your priorities begin to change in ways you don't immediately recognize. The things that once felt urgent slowly lose their importance. Winning arguments no longer matters. Being right no longer matters. Trying to impress people no longer matters. You begin to understand just how much energy you've spent on things that ultimately have very little value. When your days are spent hoping someone you love has a good day, worrying about the next doctor's appointment, or simply praying for some sense of stability, the unnecessary drama that once occupied your thoughts suddenly feels incredibly small.

Somewhere along this journey, something inside me quietly changed. I stopped feeling responsible for keeping everyone happy. I stopped believing I had to explain every decision or justify every boundary. I stopped investing emotional energy in relationships that consistently left me feeling anxious, drained, or unsettled. It wasn't because I became bitter. In fact, I think the opposite happened. Walking through such a difficult season made me appreciate people more than ever before. It also helped me recognize the difference between people who bring peace into your life and people who constantly bring chaos. Once you've experienced enough uncertainty, you begin craving calm in a way you never did before.

One of the greatest gifts to come out of this journey has been watching Tim slowly reclaim pieces of the life that PNES tried to steal from him. There were days when neither of us knew what the future would hold, and now I get to watch him write stories again, create music, laugh, dream, and continue building something meaningful through Seizing Hope. Our lives don't look the way we once imagined they would, but they are still beautiful. They are still filled with purpose. They are still filled with hope. That perspective changes a person. It teaches you that joy doesn't have to look exactly the way you planned for it to be real.

I think that's why I'm so protective of peace now. It wasn't handed to us. It was earned through long nights, difficult conversations, endless paperwork, tears, prayers, and choosing hope on days when hope felt incredibly hard to find. When you've spent years living with uncertainty, peace becomes something sacred. It's found in quiet mornings with coffee before the day begins. It's found in evenings sitting together without needing to say much at all. It's found in watching Tim smile, knowing how far he's come. It's found in ordinary moments that years ago I probably would have rushed right past.

That doesn't mean life is perfect because it isn't. We still face challenges. We still have appointments, responsibilities, and questions about the future just like everyone else. The difference is that I no longer want to add unnecessary burdens to a life that has already carried enough. If a relationship constantly leaves me feeling unsettled instead of encouraged, I no longer feel guilty about creating distance. If someone's presence consistently brings criticism, negativity, or unnecessary conflict, I don't feel obligated to keep inviting that into my life. Time has taught me that peace is far too valuable to give away simply because I'm afraid of disappointing someone else.

I've also realized that protecting my peace isn't an act of rejection toward other people. It's an act of stewardship toward the life Tim and I are building together. We fought too hard to get here. We've weathered too many storms to allow unnecessary chaos to become a permanent guest in our home or in our hearts. Our energy is better spent investing in the people who encourage us, supporting causes that matter to us, creating memories together, and continuing to build a future that reflects the gratitude we feel for how far we've come.

There was a time when I thought saying no made me less kind. Today I understand that healthy boundaries allow me to be more present for the people who truly matter. By protecting my own peace, I have more patience to give, more compassion to offer, and more joy to share. I don't have endless emotional energy, and neither does anyone else. The older I get, the more intentional I want to be about where I invest it.

At sixty-five, I can honestly say that life has humbled me in ways I never expected. It has taught me that tomorrow isn't promised, that plans can change overnight, and that some of the most meaningful moments in life happen quietly around the kitchen table, on the back deck with a cup of coffee, or during an ordinary conversation with the person you love. It has also taught me that peace isn't found by avoiding life's difficulties. It's found by choosing carefully what deserves a place in your heart after you've already survived so much.

So these days, I'm making a different choice. I'm choosing conversations that leave me encouraged instead of exhausted. I'm choosing relationships built on honesty instead of obligation. I'm choosing quiet over chaos, authenticity over appearances, and gratitude over resentment. Most of all, I'm choosing peace—not because life has suddenly become easy, but because I've learned just how precious it is.

For Tim and me, peace isn't simply a nice idea anymore. It's become the foundation we're building this next chapter of our lives upon. After everything we've walked through, I can't think of anything more valuable than protecting that gift every single day.

Comments

Popular Posts