The Magic We Forget We Need
Every once in a while, I come across something on social media that sticks with me long after I've scrolled past it. Most of the time I can't even remember what it was a day later, but every now and then, something finds its way into my thoughts and refuses to leave. That happened recently when I read about something people are calling "The Disney Theory." At first, I assumed it was just another feel-good post about Disney being the happiest place on Earth. Instead, it made me stop and think about why so many adults—myself included—keep finding our way back there. The more I reflected on it, the more I realized it wasn't really about Disney at all. It was about what happens to us as we grow older and how easy it is to lose sight of the parts of ourselves that once came so naturally.
Somewhere between childhood and adulthood, life quietly becomes heavy. It doesn't happen overnight, and there usually isn't one defining moment when everything changes. Instead, the weight builds a little at a time. A career. A mortgage. Aging parents. Health concerns. Financial responsibilities. Laundry that somehow never ends. A calendar filled with appointments. Phone calls you need to make. Emails that need answering. Decisions that can't wait until tomorrow. Before you know it, you've become so accustomed to carrying all of it that you don't even realize how tired you've become. It simply becomes your normal.
The last couple of years have taught me just how heavy life can feel. If you've followed my journey, you know that Tim's health changed in an instant, and our lives were turned upside down. There were countless doctor appointments, tests, medications, insurance forms, disability paperwork, financial worries, and so many unanswered questions. At the same time, work didn't stop needing me, bills still had to be paid, and everyday life kept moving whether I felt ready or not. Looking back now, I don't think I ever truly stopped to acknowledge how much I was carrying. I just kept putting one foot in front of the other because that's what you do when someone you love needs you.
I think that's true for a lot of us. We become so focused on getting through today that we stop asking ourselves how we're actually doing. We convince ourselves that once we get through this week, or this project, or this medical appointment, or this financial hurdle, then we'll finally relax. Except another week comes, another responsibility appears, and life continues piling things onto our shoulders. We adapt because we have to, but adapting doesn't mean the weight disappears. It simply means we've gotten stronger at carrying it.
That's why the Disney Theory resonated with me so deeply. It suggests that sometimes you don't realize how much you've been carrying until you walk into a place where your heart finally lets go for a little while. For me, that's exactly what happens when I walk down Main Street U.S.A. It isn't that my problems magically disappear. They don't. The bills are still waiting when I get home. The responsibilities are still there. Life hasn't suddenly become easier. What changes is me. Somehow, almost without realizing it, my shoulders relax. My breathing slows. The endless checklist running through my mind becomes a little quieter. For a few precious days, I remember what it feels like to simply enjoy where I am instead of constantly thinking about everything waiting for me somewhere else.
People often ask me what my favorite ride is, and honestly, I don't know that I have one. As I've gotten older, Disney has become less about the attractions and more about the feeling. I love walking through the parks before I've even decided what I want to do. I love hearing the background music drifting through the air. I love smelling popcorn and fresh-baked treats even when I'm not hungry. I love sitting on a bench with an ice cream cone and watching families make memories they'll talk about for years. There's something incredibly comforting about seeing pure joy on someone else's face. It's contagious in the best possible way.
One of my favorite things to do is simply people-watch. I'll see a little girl twirling in her princess dress because she truly believes she's royalty for the day. I'll watch a little boy run toward Buzz Lightyear like he's meeting his greatest hero. I'll see grandparents smiling as they watch another generation experience the same magic they once shared with their own children. Then there are the couples holding hands, the lifelong friends laughing over inside jokes, and the parents who, despite the exhaustion that comes with a Disney vacation, can't stop smiling because they're watching their children's faces light up. Those moments remind me that joy doesn't have to be complicated. Sometimes it's found in the smallest things if we're willing to slow down long enough to notice them.
I also think Disney gives adults permission to feel something we often deny ourselves. Somewhere along the way, we decide that being grown up means we have to be practical all the time. We worry about looking silly if we get excited over fireworks or wave at a character walking by. We tell ourselves we're too old for wonder, too busy for imagination, and too responsible to simply enjoy something without analyzing it. Yet every evening when the fireworks begin, thousands of adults stop what they're doing and look up. They smile. Some cry. Some wrap an arm around the person beside them. In those moments, nobody is thinking about work deadlines or grocery lists. They're simply present, and I think that's something we've forgotten how to do.
I've realized that Disney doesn't make me feel like a child again. Instead, it reminds me of who I was before life became so complicated. It reminds me of family vacations where the biggest decision of the day was which ride to go on next. It reminds me of staying until the park closed because none of us wanted the day to end. It reminds me that excitement isn't something we should outgrow. Somewhere deep inside every adult is the child who once believed that tomorrow held endless possibilities. That child doesn't disappear. Life simply gets louder, making it harder to hear that hopeful little voice.
As Tim and I have walked through the challenges of the past two years, I've learned that joy and hardship can exist at the same time. They aren't opposites. You don't have to wait until everything is perfect before allowing yourself to laugh or make memories. If I had waited for life to become easy before taking time to enjoy it, I would still be waiting. Life has a funny way of reminding us that there will always be another challenge around the corner. That doesn't mean we stop living in the meantime.
Maybe that's one of the reasons Disney means more to me now than it ever did when I was younger. As a child, I expected magic. As an adult, I appreciate it. I recognize how rare it is to find a place that allows me to put down the mental baggage I've been carrying, even if it's only for a little while. It's not the rides or the castle that make the difference. It's the feeling of remembering that life is about more than surviving from one obligation to the next.
The older I get, the more I realize that everyone needs a place that helps them breathe again. For some people, that's sitting beside a quiet lake with a fishing pole. For others, it's hiking a mountain trail, reading a good book on a rainy afternoon, listening to music with the windows down, or spending time with family around a campfire. For me, one of those places happens to be Disney. It reminds me that there is still beauty in the world, that kindness still exists, and that people of all ages are still capable of experiencing genuine wonder.
I know Disney isn't for everyone, and that's perfectly okay. The point isn't that everyone should love Disney. The point is that everyone deserves to have something that softens their heart after life has hardened it a little. We all need a place that reminds us who we are beneath the responsibilities, the stress, and the constant demands of adulthood. We all need moments that help us remember life isn't measured solely by accomplishments or productivity but by the memories we create, the people we love, and the joy we allow ourselves to experience along the way.
So maybe the Disney Theory isn't really about Disney after all. Maybe it's simply a reminder that life can become so busy that we forget to nurture the parts of ourselves that still believe in wonder. Maybe it's permission to stop apologizing for the things that make us smile. Maybe it's a gentle reminder that we don't have to earn joy by finishing every task on our to-do list. We can choose it now, even if life isn't perfect.
As I thought about all of this over the past few days, I realized something that surprised me. Every time I leave Disney, I don't come home because my problems have been solved. I come home because I've been reminded that I'm more than my problems. I'm reminded that laughter still matters. That slowing down matters. That spending time with the people I love matters. Most importantly, I'm reminded that wonder isn't something we leave behind in childhood. It's something we have to intentionally make room for as adults.
Maybe that's the real magic. It isn't found in a castle or a fireworks show or a favorite attraction. It's found in remembering that beneath everything life asks of us, there's still a part of us that smiles when we hear familiar music, believes tomorrow can hold something wonderful, and longs for moments that make us feel completely present. I hope I never lose that part of myself, because I've learned it's often the very thing that helps me carry the weight of everything else.

Comments