Rest, The Battle Isn't Yours, It's God's

One of the hardest lessons I've had to learn is that resting is not the same as giving up. For years, I believed that if I worried enough, planned enough, worked hard enough, or stayed awake long enough thinking through every possible outcome, somehow I could control what happened next. I carried burdens that were never mine to carry because I thought that was what being responsible looked like. I confused constant striving with faithfulness, and exhaustion with strength. Looking back now, I realize that all my worrying never changed a single outcome. It only stole my peace.

Life has a way of bringing us to places where our own strength simply isn't enough. There are diagnoses we can't change, relationships we can't fix on our own, financial struggles we can't solve overnight, and circumstances that leave us feeling completely powerless. We pray, we seek advice, we make plans, and we do everything we know to do. Then we arrive at a place where there is nothing left to do except trust God. For many of us, that's the hardest place to be because we would rather be doing something than waiting on Him.

One of my favorite verses in Scripture is found in Exodus 14:14, where Moses tells the Israelite's, "The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still." Imagine standing where they stood. The Red Sea stretched out before them, Pharaoh's army was charging behind them, and there appeared to be no way out. Every instinct must have told them to panic. They probably wanted to run, fight, or come up with a better plan. Yet God's instruction wasn't to panic or take matters into their own hands. His instruction was to trust Him because the battle belonged to Him.

I think many of us find ourselves standing at our own Red Sea. We may not be facing an army, but we face situations that seem just as impossible. We worry about our health, our families, our finances, our future, or the people we love. We spend hours trying to solve problems that haven't even happened yet. We rehearse conversations in our minds, imagine worst-case scenarios, and carry tomorrow's burdens before tomorrow even arrives. We exhaust ourselves fighting battles that God never asked us to fight.

The truth is that worry has never changed the future. It has never shortened a difficult season or added one ounce of peace to our hearts. Instead, it robs us of the joy that God intended us to experience today. While we're busy trying to control everything around us, we often miss the quiet ways God is already working behind the scenes. His timing rarely matches ours, but His faithfulness has never failed.

I've learned that surrender isn't something we do once. It's something we choose every single day. Every morning brings new opportunities to trust God. We surrender our fears, our disappointments, our unanswered prayers, and our uncertainty. Then the next day we do it again. Surrender is not a sign that we've stopped caring. It's a sign that we've finally recognized who is truly in control.

Faith has never required us to understand everything. If we could see the entire plan, it wouldn't require faith at all. God rarely shows us the whole journey. Instead, He gives us enough light for the next step and asks us to trust Him with the rest. Sometimes that feels uncomfortable because we want answers before we move forward. We want guarantees before we let go. Yet God continually reminds us that His presence is far more valuable than our ability to predict the future.

Jesus understood how heavy life could become. That's why He invited us to come to Him with our burdens instead of carrying them alone. He never intended for us to shoulder the weight of the entire world. He never asked us to fix every problem, heal every hurt, or control every outcome. Some burdens belong only to God, and every time we insist on carrying them ourselves, we become weary under a weight we were never designed to bear.

When I look back over my own life, I can see countless moments when I spent sleepless nights worrying about situations that God had already gone ahead of me to resolve. There were times I thought everything was falling apart, only to discover later that God was quietly putting everything together. There were prayers that seemed unanswered until I realized He was protecting me from something I couldn't yet see. His silence was never His absence, and His delays were never His rejection. He was working long before I could recognize His hand.

Perhaps that's where you find yourself today. Maybe you're carrying a burden that feels impossible to put down. Maybe you've convinced yourself that if you stop worrying, everything will fall apart. But the truth is, God has been holding your life together all along. He doesn't need your anxiety to accomplish His plans. He doesn't need your fear to make a way where there seems to be no way. He simply asks for your trust.

Rest is one of the greatest acts of faith we can offer God because it declares that we believe He is able to do what we cannot. It says we trust His wisdom more than our understanding, His timing more than our own, and His promises more than our fears. Rest doesn't mean we stop praying or stop doing what is right. It means we stop carrying responsibilities that belong to God and start walking in the peace He has promised us.

So if you're tired today, take a deep breath. Lay your burdens before the Lord. Pray, trust Him, and then leave the outcome in His hands. The same God who has faithfully carried you through every difficult season you've already survived will carry you through this one too. You don't have to fight every battle. Some victories only come when we step aside, trust completely, and allow God to do what only He can do. The battle isn't yours. It never was. The battle belongs to God.

Comments

Popular Posts