Finding Nemo: Learning to Let Go Without Loving Less

 While watching Finding Nemo the other day, I watched it completely different an adult. When my kids were little they saw a little clownfish who got taken far away from home, a worried father who crossed the ocean looking for him, and a wonderfully forgetful blue fish who made me laugh. It was an adventure about finding Nemo. With the past 3 years, I now see a story about fear, loss, loving someone so deeply that you want to protect them from everything, and eventually discovering that sometimes loving someone means trusting them enough to let them live.

Marlin's story begins with tremendous loss. Before Nemo is even born, Marlin loses Coral and nearly all of their eggs. In a matter of moments, the future he thought he was going to have disappears. One tiny egg remains, and Marlin makes a promise that he will never let anything happen to Nemo. Knowing what Marlin has already lost makes everything that comes afterward much easier to understand. He isn't simply an overprotective father. He is someone who knows exactly how quickly life can change.

I think fear often makes perfect sense when we know the story behind it. Sometimes we look at another person's behavior and think they worry too much, hold on too tightly, or imagine everything that could possibly go wrong. But perhaps there is a reason. Maybe life once taught them that terrible things really can happen without warning. Once you have experienced something that changes everything, it can be difficult to return to the innocent belief that everything will probably be fine.

Marlin loves Nemo desperately, but gradually his love becomes tangled together with his fear. He watches him constantly. He worries about what might happen. He sees danger everywhere, and because Nemo has one smaller fin, Marlin becomes even more convinced that his son needs protecting. He doesn't want Nemo to hurt. He doesn't want him to fail. Most of all, he doesn't want to lose the only family he has left.

There is something very human about wanting to protect the people we love from every painful thing. If we could somehow build a wall around them and guarantee that nothing terrible would ever get through, I think many of us would be tempted to do it. We want to keep the people we love safe. We want to prevent the accident, the heartbreak, the disappointment, the diagnosis, the rejection, and all the things we know can happen because we have lived long enough to know that life isn't always gentle.

The problem is that there is a difference between protecting someone and allowing our fear to make their world smaller. Marlin sees all the things Nemo might not be able to do. Nemo desperately wants his father to see what he can do. I think that difference matters. Sometimes when we love someone who faces challenges, our instinct is to focus so heavily on protecting them that we unintentionally begin defining them by what we believe they cannot handle.

Nemo knows his fin is different. He doesn't need his father constantly reminding him that the world may be harder because of it. He needs someone who believes he can still swim into that world. There is something beautiful about being loved by someone who sees our limitations without allowing those limitations to become the entire story of who we are.

Then Nemo is taken, and Marlin's greatest fear becomes reality. The thing he spent his life desperately trying to prevent happens anyway. I think that is one of the hardest truths about control. We can do everything we know to do and still not be able to prevent every difficult thing. We can plan, prepare, worry, research, protect, and anticipate, and life can still surprise us.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be responsible or protect the people we love. It simply means there is a limit to what any of us can control. Eventually we have to decide whether we are going to spend our lives trying to eliminate every possible risk or trust that when something difficult happens, we will somehow find the strength to face it.

Marlin certainly finds strength he didn't know he had. The fish who was afraid of almost everything crosses an entire ocean for his son. He faces sharks, jellyfish, darkness, whales, and countless things he would never have willingly chosen to encounter. Fear doesn't disappear before Marlin begins the journey. He moves forward while he is afraid.

Maybe that is one of the best definitions of courage. Courage isn't always becoming fearless. Sometimes courage is being absolutely terrified and deciding that something matters more than the fear.

And then there is Dory.

I think Dory may be one of the most beautiful parts of Finding Nemo because she brings something into Marlin's life that he desperately needs. Marlin plans, worries, and anticipates everything that could go wrong. Dory can't remember enough to worry very far ahead. She lives much more completely in the moment, partly because she doesn't have much choice.

Her simple determination to “just keep swimming” sounds almost silly, but there are seasons when that is genuinely all we can do. We don't have a five-year plan. We don't know how the situation is going to end. We don't even know what next week will look like. We simply get through today. Then we wake up tomorrow and do it again.

I have come to appreciate that kind of perseverance. We tend to celebrate enormous acts of courage, but there is also courage in ordinary continuation. Getting out of bed. Making the phone call. Going to the appointment. Filling out another form. Showing up for someone we love. Praying the same prayer again. Taking the next step when we don't know where the path eventually leads. Sometimes “just keep swimming” is enough.

Dory also teaches Marlin something else without really trying. Not everyone who struggles is incapable. Dory's memory creates real challenges for her, but it doesn't erase everything else about her. She is compassionate, loyal, brave, resourceful, and incredibly persistent. She may forget where she is going, but she doesn't forget how to care about the person beside her.

I think there is something important in that. People are never only the thing they struggle with. A diagnosis isn't a complete identity. A disability isn't a complete identity. Anxiety, grief, trauma, illness, or any other challenge may affect someone's life deeply, but there is always an entire person beyond it. There are gifts, humor, personality, dreams, strengths, relationships, and things that matter to them. We do people a disservice when we reduce them to the one thing that happens to be most visible to us.

One of the most meaningful parts of Marlin's journey is that while he is desperately trying to find Nemo, Nemo is discovering his own strength. Marlin isn't there to rescue him from every difficult moment. Nemo has to think, try, fail, listen to others, take risks, and eventually discover that he is capable of much more than his father believed.

That is such a difficult part of loving someone. Sometimes the people we love need the opportunity to discover their own strength, and we cannot discover it for them. If we step in every single time something becomes difficult, we may unintentionally prevent them from having the moment when they realize, “I can do this.”

That doesn't mean we abandon people to struggle alone. There is a huge difference between support and control. We can stand beside someone, encourage them, advocate for them, help when help is needed, and still leave room for them to have their own voice and make their own choices. Sometimes the most loving thing we can say isn't “I'll do it for you.” Sometimes it is “I'm right here, and I believe you can do this.”

Eventually Marlin has to learn exactly that. Near the end, when Dory and the other fish are trapped in the fishing net, Nemo knows what to do. Marlin's instinct is understandably to protect him. After everything he has gone through to find his son, the last thing he wants to do is watch Nemo swim toward danger again. But this time he makes a different choice. He trusts him.

That moment means so much more than simply allowing Nemo to help. Marlin finally sees his son differently. He isn't looking only at the small fin anymore. He isn't seeing the fragile little fish he needs to protect from the entire ocean. He sees Nemo.

Sometimes the people we love need us to update the picture we carry of them. We can become so accustomed to protecting someone that we don't notice how much they have grown. We continue seeing the child, the person who struggled, the person who once couldn't do something, or the person they were during their hardest season. Meanwhile, they have been changing right in front of us.

I think God sometimes has to teach me about letting go too. I like knowing what comes next. I like having answers. When someone I love is hurting, I want a solution. I want God to show me exactly how everything will turn out, preferably with enough detail that I can prepare for every possibility. Faith rarely works that way.

Faith asks me to trust God with people I cannot protect from everything and circumstances I cannot control. It asks me to remember that loving someone doesn't mean I have the power to guarantee their outcome. I can pray. I can advocate. I can support. I can show up. I can do everything within my ability to help, and eventually there are still things I have to place into God's hands.

That kind of surrender isn't the same thing as giving up. Sometimes surrender is recognizing that I was never meant to carry the entire ocean.

Marlin's fear doesn't come from weakness. It comes from love that has already experienced devastating loss. I think that is why I have so much compassion for him. Once life has shown us how fragile everything can be, loving people can feel frightening. The more someone matters to us, the more there is to lose.

But if fear becomes the price of loving someone, eventually we stop enjoying the person we are so desperately trying to protect. We spend today worrying about what might happen tomorrow. We miss the conversation because our minds are somewhere in the future. We miss the beautiful ordinary moment because we are busy imagining all the ways it could disappear.

Maybe part of loving well is learning to be present even when we know nothing is guaranteed.

There is no way for Marlin to promise Nemo that the ocean will always be safe. It isn't. There will be predators, currents, nets, and things neither of them can anticipate. But there will also be sea turtles, friendships, adventures, discoveries, laughter, and things Nemo will never experience if fear keeps him inside the anemone forever.

Life is like that too. We cannot remove every danger without also removing much of what makes life worth living. Loving someone sometimes means accepting that they have a life to live that we cannot completely control.

When I think about Finding Nemo now, I don't think only about a father searching the ocean for his son. I think about how easily love and fear can become tangled together. I think about how hard it is to watch someone we love struggle. I think about the difference between believing we are responsible for someone's entire life and simply being faithful in the role we have been given.

I think about Dory reminding us to keep moving when we don't have all the answers. I think about Nemo discovering that being different doesn't mean being incapable. I think about Marlin learning that protecting someone isn't the same thing as preventing them from ever taking a risk. Most of all, I think about the courage required to loosen our grip without believing we are loving someone any less.

Maybe that is what Marlin ultimately learns. Love isn't measured by how tightly we hold onto someone. Sometimes the deepest love says, “I know the ocean is big. I know there are things out there that frighten me. I know I cannot protect you from everything. But I believe in you, and I trust that I don't have to control every part of your journey.”

There will always be things we cannot predict and people we cannot protect from every hurt. There will always be moments when all we can do is pray, trust, and take the next step. Maybe that is when we remember Dory's wonderfully simple advice and just keep swimming, trusting that God is present in the waters we understand and the ones we don't.

And maybe sometimes loving someone with our whole heart means learning to open our hands.

Comments

Popular Posts