Esmeralda: The Courage to See the Person Everyone Else Overlooks
There are some Disney characters whose stories become much more powerful when we revisit them as adults, and Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame is definitely one of them. As a child, I probably noticed that she was beautiful, brave, independent, and willing to stand up to the frightening Judge Frollo. As an adult, I see something much deeper in her story. Esmeralda is surrounded by people who have been taught exactly whom they should fear, judge, and reject, yet she continually chooses to see the human being standing in front of her instead of the label the world has placed upon them.
That is especially true in the way she sees Quasimodo. The people of Paris see his physical differences before they see anything else. They stare at him, mock him, fear him, and eventually humiliate him publicly for their own entertainment. Quasimodo has spent most of his life hidden away in the bell tower being told that the world is cruel and that someone who looks like him could never belong in it. After hearing that message long enough, he begins to believe it too. Sometimes the most damaging things people tell us aren't the insults themselves. They are the things we eventually begin repeating to ourselves.
Then Esmeralda looks at Quasimodo and simply sees Quasimodo. She doesn't pretend his differences aren't there, but she doesn't allow those differences to determine his worth. When the crowd turns against him, she is the person willing to step forward. She doesn't know him well. There is nothing she stands to gain by defending him. In fact, standing beside him places her in danger too. She does it anyway because she recognizes something very simple that everyone else seems to have forgotten. This is a human being, and what is happening to him is wrong.
I think there is something incredibly powerful about the person who notices when everyone else looks away. It is easy to be kind when kindness costs us nothing. It is much harder when compassion requires us to become uncomfortable, speak when everyone else is silent, or stand beside someone the crowd has already decided doesn't belong. There are moments when kindness is gentle, but there are also moments when kindness needs courage.
Esmeralda has both.
I think one of the saddest things about Quasimodo's story is that he has spent so much time being told who he is by someone else. Frollo has convinced him that he is ugly, unacceptable, and incapable of surviving outside the walls of Notre Dame. He presents isolation as protection while actually using it as control. If Quasimodo believes nobody else could ever accept him, he will remain dependent upon the one person who claims to tolerate him.
There is a lesson in that which reaches far beyond a Disney movie. We need to be careful about anyone who convinces us that everyone else is against us and they are the only person we can trust. Real love doesn't need to make our world smaller in order to keep us close. It doesn't convince us that we are incapable without it. It doesn't use our insecurities to make us dependent.
Esmeralda becomes evidence that what Quasimodo has been told isn't true. There are people outside the tower capable of seeing him differently. There are people who can look at him without disgust. There are people who can appreciate his kindness, loyalty, courage, and gentle heart. Sometimes it takes just one person seeing us differently to make us question all the terrible things we have been taught to believe about ourselves.
I also think Esmeralda's compassion means more because she understands what it feels like to be judged herself. She belongs to a group that Frollo and much of society have treated as dangerous and unwanted. She knows what it feels like to have people make assumptions before knowing anything about her. Maybe that is part of why she recognizes the injustice happening to Quasimodo so quickly. She understands what it feels like when someone else decides who you are without ever taking the time to know you.
Sometimes our own difficult experiences can make us more aware of someone else's pain. We know what it feels like not to be believed, so we become the person who listens. We know what loneliness feels like, so we notice the person sitting alone. We know what it feels like to be judged by something others don't understand, so we become slower to judge someone else's story. Pain can make us bitter, but it can also make us deeply compassionate if we allow it to soften rather than harden us.
That is one of the things I want suffering to accomplish in me. I don't want difficult experiences simply to become things I survived. I want them to make me more aware of what other people might be carrying. I want to remember that the person standing in front of me has a story I cannot see. I want to be slower to assume and quicker to listen. I want to recognize that sometimes the people who behave differently, communicate differently, or struggle in ways I don't understand may be carrying something I know absolutely nothing about.
There is another part of Esmeralda's story that has always stood out to me, and that is her prayer inside Notre Dame. Surrounded by people asking God for wealth, fame, glory, and blessings for themselves, Esmeralda asks God to remember the people who have been forgotten. She doesn't believe she is more deserving than anyone else. She simply asks for mercy for those who have very little and for God to help the people everyone else has pushed aside.
That may be one of the most beautiful prayers in any Disney movie because it forces me to think about what I ask God for compared with what I notice around me. There is nothing wrong with bringing our personal needs to God. He invites us to do exactly that. But faith should also make our hearts larger. Prayer isn't only about asking God to change circumstances for me. Sometimes prayer should open my eyes to the person beside me.
Jesus continually did that throughout Scripture. He noticed people others ignored. He touched people society considered untouchable. He spoke to people others had already judged. He stopped for individuals while crowds were moving around Him. Again and again, Jesus seemed especially drawn toward the people who had been pushed to the edges.
That challenges me because it is very easy to love humanity in general. It is much harder to love the complicated human being standing directly in front of us. We can say everyone deserves compassion while still deciding certain people are too difficult, too different, too frustrating, or too far outside our understanding. Esmeralda doesn't simply believe people deserve dignity. She behaves as though they do.
Her story also makes the contrast with Frollo especially powerful. Frollo considers himself righteous. He holds authority. He speaks about morality and believes he has the right to determine who is good and who is evil. Yet his actions reveal cruelty, prejudice, obsession, and an enormous unwillingness to examine his own heart. He is so focused on identifying sin in everyone else that he becomes blind to what is happening inside himself.
There is a warning in that for anyone who takes faith seriously. Religion can become dangerous when it gives us more interest in judging someone else's heart than examining our own. Jesus spoke about that very thing when He warned about noticing the speck in someone else's eye while ignoring the plank in our own. Faith should make us more humble, not more convinced of our superiority.
I don't want my faith to become something I use to decide who deserves a seat at God's table. I want it to remind me that I was invited to that table because of grace too.
Esmeralda understands something about grace that Frollo never seems to grasp. She doesn't approach God claiming that she deserves anything. She recognizes that every person is dependent upon mercy. There is tremendous humility in that because once we understand how much grace we ourselves have received, it becomes much harder to decide someone else isn't worthy of it.
I also love that Esmeralda isn't portrayed as someone who needs to be rescued simply because she is compassionate. She is strong, resourceful, outspoken, and willing to fight for herself and others. Her kindness doesn't make her weak. If anything, her compassion is part of her strength. I think we sometimes confuse being kind with being passive, but the two are not the same. Some of the kindest people I know are also the strongest because they are willing to speak when something is wrong.
There are times when love comforts, and there are times when love advocates. There are times when compassion means sitting quietly beside someone, and there are times when it means standing up and saying that what is happening to them isn't acceptable. We need both kinds of people in this world, and sometimes God asks us to become both.
Maybe that is what I take most from Esmeralda's story now. She reminds me to look beyond what is immediately visible. The person who appears different is still a person. The person everyone is talking about has a story too. The person who seems difficult may be hurting. The person who has been labeled may have spent years trying to escape a definition someone else gave them.
We never really know what someone has endured before they arrived in front of us.
I think about how different Quasimodo's life becomes because one person refuses to see him the way everyone else does. Esmeralda cannot undo the years he spent hidden away. She cannot erase every cruel word or instantly remove all the shame he has absorbed. But she can give him something new to place beside those old messages. She can give him evidence that they were never completely true.
Sometimes we can be that person for someone else without even realizing it. A kind word can challenge years of criticism. Believing someone can begin repairing the damage caused by years of being dismissed. Including someone can interrupt a lifetime of feeling unwanted. We may never know how significant a small act of dignity becomes in the life of someone who hasn't received much of it.
Maybe that is why Esmeralda belongs among the Disney characters worth remembering. She doesn't have magical powers. She isn't a princess waiting for a castle. Her gift is something much more ordinary and perhaps much more necessary. She sees people.
She sees Quasimodo when others see his appearance. She sees people in need when others see outsiders. She sees injustice when others see entertainment. She sees humanity where fear and prejudice have taught everyone else to see categories.
I want to live with eyes like that.
I want to notice the person behind the label, the story behind the behavior, and the hurt underneath the surface. I want my faith to make me more compassionate rather than more judgmental. I want to remember that every person I encounter was created by the same God who created me and that none of us has earned the grace we have been given.
Maybe we cannot change every cruel voice in the world. We cannot make everyone understand. We cannot prevent people from judging what they don't know. But we can decide what kind of person we will be when someone different is standing in front of us.
We can stare with the crowd, or we can step forward and see them.
Esmeralda stepped forward. Maybe sometimes that is exactly what love asks us to do.

Comments