That Is Who You Are
Some of the most meaningful truths about God are often the ones we need to remind ourselves of repeatedly. Not because they are difficult to understand, but because life has a way of making us forget them. When circumstances become overwhelming, when prayers seem unanswered, and when the road ahead feels uncertain, it can be easy to focus on what we cannot see rather than on what we know to be true. During those seasons, I find myself returning to simple reminders about God's character. One of those reminders is found in the words, "Waymaker, miracle worker, promise keeper, light in the darkness. My God, that is who You are."
What I love most about those words is that they focus on who God is rather than what He does. While God certainly performs miracles, answers prayers, and works in powerful ways, His actions flow from His character. He does not become faithful because circumstances work out the way we hope. He is faithful because faithfulness is part of who He is. He does not become a promise keeper only when we see the fulfillment of those promises. He is a promise keeper because His nature never changes.
That truth has become increasingly important to me over the years. There have been seasons when I could clearly see God working. Answers seemed obvious. Doors opened unexpectedly. Blessings arrived in ways that strengthened my faith. During those moments, trusting God felt natural because His fingerprints appeared to be everywhere. Yet there have also been seasons when His work was much harder to recognize. Prayers seemed to linger unanswered. Questions remained unresolved. The path ahead felt hidden in uncertainty.
Those are the moments when faith is truly tested.
It is one thing to believe God is working when everything is falling into place. It is another thing entirely to believe He is working when you cannot see any evidence of progress. Yet some of the deepest lessons of faith are learned in those hidden seasons. God does not stop working simply because we cannot see what He is doing. His activity is not dependent upon our awareness of it.
Looking back on difficult chapters of my life, I can often see God's hand more clearly in hindsight than I could in the moment. Situations that once felt confusing eventually revealed purpose. Doors that closed led to opportunities I never would have discovered otherwise. Delays that felt frustrating at the time later revealed themselves as protection or preparation. What seemed like silence was often God working behind the scenes in ways I could not yet understand.
One of the hardest realities of faith is accepting that God rarely shows us the entire picture. We want to know where the road leads before we take the first step. We want to understand the purpose behind our struggles before we endure them. We want explanations before we offer trust. Yet God often asks us to walk by faith instead of sight. He invites us to trust His character even when His plan remains hidden.
The title "way maker" speaks deeply to that reality. A way maker creates a path where no path appears to exist. Throughout Scripture, God repeatedly demonstrated His ability to make a way for His people. He parted seas, provided food in wilderness places, opened prison doors, healed diseases, and brought hope into impossible situations. Again and again, God proved that He specializes in creating solutions where human beings see only obstacles.
I think every believer eventually encounters situations that feel impossible. Circumstances arise that exceed our abilities, our resources, and our understanding. We reach points where we simply do not know how things will work out. Those moments can be frightening, but they are also opportunities to remember who God is. The same God who made a way for His people throughout history is still making a way today.
That does not mean His solutions always look the way we expect. Sometimes God's way is different from the one we would have chosen. Sometimes His timing stretches our patience. Sometimes His answers come in forms we never anticipated. Yet His faithfulness remains constant even when His methods surprise us.
The phrase "light in the darkness" resonates deeply with me because darkness is something every person encounters. Darkness comes in many forms. Sometimes it is grief. Sometimes it is uncertainty. Sometimes it is fear, loneliness, disappointment, or pain. Whatever form it takes, darkness has a way of convincing us that hope is fading and that we are walking alone.
The beautiful truth of the Gospel is that God's presence shines brightest in our darkest moments. Light does not eliminate darkness by arguing with it. Light simply appears, and darkness cannot overcome it. In the same way, God's presence brings hope into situations that seem hopeless. His peace enters circumstances that feel chaotic. His love reaches places wounded by fear and pain.
One of the greatest comforts I have found in my faith is knowing that God is present even when I cannot feel His presence. Feelings change. Emotions fluctuate. Circumstances rise and fall. Yet God remains constant. He does not abandon us during difficult seasons. He does not step away when life becomes complicated. He remains near, faithfully walking beside us whether we recognize His presence or not.
The lyrics also describe God as one who is "touching every heart" and "turning lives around." Those words remind me that God is always working in ways we cannot fully see. Every day, lives are being transformed through His grace. Hearts are being healed. Relationships are being restored. People are finding hope in places where despair once lived. While headlines often focus on brokenness and division, God continues to quietly change lives one heart at a time.
I have witnessed that transformation in my own life. I am not the same person I was years ago. Life's challenges have shaped me, but more importantly, God's faithfulness has shaped me. The struggles I would never have chosen have taught me lessons I could not have learned any other way. The difficult roads have deepened my dependence upon Him. The unanswered questions have strengthened my trust in His character.
Transformation rarely happens overnight. More often, it occurs gradually through countless small moments of faith, surrender, and growth. God patiently works within us, shaping us into the people He created us to become. Sometimes we notice the changes immediately. Other times, we only recognize them when we look back and see how far He has brought us.
One of the reasons I love worship music is that it often reminds me of truths I desperately need to hear. When life becomes complicated, it is easy to focus on problems rather than promises. Worship redirects my attention. It lifts my eyes above the circumstances immediately in front of me and reminds me of God's unchanging character. It reminds me that He is still the Way maker when I cannot see the path. He is still the Miracle Worker when situations appear impossible. He is still the Promise Keeper when fulfillment seems delayed. He is still the Light in the darkness when hope feels distant.
Perhaps that is why the simple phrase, "That is who You are," carries so much power. It is a declaration of trust rooted not in circumstances but in God's character. It acknowledges that while situations may change, God does not. While my understanding is limited, His wisdom is not. While my strength may fail, His power never will.
Life will continue to present challenges that stretch my faith. There will be seasons when answers seem slow in coming and moments when the future feels uncertain. Yet I want to keep returning to this simple truth: God is who He says He is. He remains faithful when I struggle. He remains present when I feel alone. He remains powerful when circumstances seem impossible. He remains loving even when life is difficult.
When I look back over my journey, I can see countless examples of His faithfulness. Not always in the ways I expected, but always in the ways I needed. Time and again, He has made a way where I could not see one. He has provided strength when mine was gone. He has brought light into seasons that felt dark and overwhelming. He has kept promises long after I stopped looking for their fulfillment.
Because of that, I can face the future with confidence. Not confidence in my own ability to navigate whatever comes next, but confidence in the One who walks ahead of me. Whatever challenges tomorrow may bring, God will still be the Way maker. He will still be the Miracle Worker. He will still be the Promise Keeper. He will still be the Light in the darkness.
And no matter what season I find myself walking through, that is who He will always be.

Comments