Peace Be Still

Fear has a way of arriving uninvited. It doesn't knock politely at the door or announce itself ahead of time. One moment life feels manageable, and the next, a phone call, a diagnosis, a financial setback, or an unexpected change sends our thoughts racing in a hundred different directions. Suddenly, the future that seemed clear becomes clouded with uncertainty, and our minds begin imagining every possible outcome. When that happens, it can feel as though a storm is building around us faster than we can prepare for it.

I've learned that some of life's most difficult battles are not fought in the circumstances themselves but in our thoughts. Long before anything actually happens, fear often convinces us that the worst is inevitable. It magnifies every problem and minimizes every reason for hope. What begins as a concern can quickly become anxiety, and anxiety can leave us exhausted before the storm has even fully arrived.

Over the past few years, I've come to understand how easy it is to become overwhelmed by uncertainty. When life changes in ways we never expected, we naturally want answers. We want a clear plan, a guaranteed outcome, and reassurance that everything will be okay. Yet more often than not, God doesn't hand us a detailed roadmap. Instead, He reminds us of something far more important: He is still with us.

The words "God, You hear. God, You know our anxious, weary hearts" speak directly to something I think every believer experiences. Sometimes we assume we need to have the right words before approaching God. We think we need polished prayers, unwavering faith, or a calm spirit. Yet God already knows what is weighing on our hearts before we ever speak a word. He sees the worries we keep hidden from others. He understands the fears we struggle to put into sentences. He knows exactly how tired we are from carrying burdens that feel too heavy.

That truth brings me tremendous comfort because it means I never have to convince God that my struggles are real. He already knows. He knows the nights when sleep doesn't come easily because my mind refuses to slow down. He knows the moments when uncertainty feels overwhelming. He knows the questions I keep asking and the answers I am still waiting to receive. Nothing about my situation surprises Him, and nothing is beyond His ability to handle.

One of the most beautiful images in this song is the reminder that we are held in the hands that hold the stars. Think about that for a moment. The same God who created galaxies beyond our imagination, who set every star in its place and knows each one by name, is also personally involved in the details of our lives. The Creator of the universe is not distant or detached. He is present. He is attentive. He is near.

When fear begins to take hold, I often need that reminder. My problems can feel enormous when I focus on them long enough. The challenges in front of me can seem impossible to overcome. Yet when I shift my focus back to God, I remember that nothing is too large for Him. The things that overwhelm me do not overwhelm Him. The questions I cannot answer do not leave Him confused. The future I cannot see is fully visible to Him.

Jesus demonstrated this truth repeatedly throughout His ministry. One of the most powerful examples occurred when His disciples found themselves caught in a violent storm. Experienced fishermen who had spent their lives on the water were suddenly terrified. The waves were crashing over the boat, and panic had taken over. Yet Jesus stood and spoke just three words: "Peace, be still." Instantly, the wind stopped and the sea became calm.

What amazes me about that story is not only that Jesus calmed the storm but that He remained calm before it ever ended. While the disciples were focused on the waves, Jesus was focused on His Father's authority. While they saw chaos, He saw an opportunity to reveal His power. The storm never threatened Him because He was Lord over it from the very beginning.

I think many of us spend our lives waiting for peace to arrive after our circumstances improve. We tell ourselves that we will feel calm once the problem is solved, once the test results come back, once the bills are paid, or once the uncertainty finally disappears. Yet the peace Jesus offers is different. His peace is not dependent on circumstances. It is rooted in His presence.

That realization has changed the way I view difficult seasons. While I still pray for answers, healing, and breakthroughs, I have learned that God's presence is often the greater gift. Circumstances may take time to change, but His presence remains constant. The storm may continue raging around me, but He remains in the boat. The future may still be uncertain, but He is already there waiting for me.

Fear will probably always try to find a place in our lives. As long as we live in a broken world, there will be reasons to worry and situations we cannot control. Yet fear does not have to have the final word. God's voice is stronger than our fears. His promises are more reliable than our emotions. His presence is more powerful than any storm we will ever face.

Whenever I hear the words, "Do not be afraid," I am reminded that they are not simply a suggestion. They are an invitation. God invites us to exchange our fear for trust, our anxiety for peace, and our uncertainty for confidence in Him. He does not ask us to pretend the storm isn't real. He simply asks us to remember who is standing with us in the middle of it.

Life will continue to bring unexpected challenges, and some storms may last longer than we would like. Yet no storm is stronger than the Savior who speaks peace into the chaos. No wave is greater than the One who walks upon the water. No fear is more powerful than the presence of Emmanuel, God with us.

When darkness falls and fear begins to whisper its familiar lies, I want to remember the voice of Jesus above every other voice. I want to remember that He still commands the wind and the waves. I want to remember that I am held securely in the hands that hold the stars. Most of all, I want to remember that because He is with me, I never face any storm alone.


Comments

Popular Posts