If The Lord Builds The House
One of the most humbling lessons I have learned in life is that not everything I work hard to build is meant to last. For many years, I believed that if I planned carefully enough, worked diligently enough, and stayed committed enough, I could create the future I wanted. I thought that success was largely determined by effort, determination, and the ability to keep pushing forward regardless of the obstacles. While there is certainly value in hard work and perseverance, life has taught me that there is a significant difference between building something through my own strength and allowing God to build it through His.
When I look back over my life, I can see seasons where I placed far too much confidence in my own abilities. I trusted my plans, my understanding, and my determination. I believed that if I worked hard enough, I could hold everything together. From the outside, some of those efforts appeared successful for a time. Things seemed stable, and it felt as though I was making progress. Yet beneath the surface, many of those foundations were not nearly as strong as I believed them to be. They depended heavily on my ability to maintain them, protect them, and keep everything moving in the right direction.
The problem with relying entirely on our own strength is that eventually we reach the limits of what we can do. Life has a way of reminding us that we are not as powerful or as capable as we sometimes imagine. Unexpected circumstances arrive. Plans change. Doors close. Challenges appear that cannot be solved through determination alone. In those moments, we begin to discover what our foundations are truly made of. What once seemed solid can suddenly feel fragile, and what we thought would last forever can begin to crumble.
There were times in my life when I invested enormous amounts of energy into creating outcomes that I believed were important. I prayed about them, planned for them, and worked tirelessly toward them. When things did not unfold the way I expected, I often viewed those experiences as failures. I questioned myself and wondered what I could have done differently. I assumed that if something fell apart, it must mean I had made a mistake somewhere along the way. Looking back now, I realize that many of those moments were not failures at all. They were invitations to trust God in a deeper way.
What felt like disappointment at the time often became one of God's greatest blessings. What felt like a setback often became a redirection. What looked like a closed door eventually revealed itself as protection. The perspective that comes with time has shown me that God was working even when I could not understand what He was doing. He was preventing me from building my future on foundations that would never have sustained me long term. He was guiding me toward something stronger, something healthier, and something that aligned more closely with His purpose for my life.
One of the hardest things for me to learn was that surrender is not weakness. For years, I associated surrender with giving up. I thought that trusting God meant becoming passive or simply accepting whatever happened. What I eventually discovered is that surrender is actually an act of tremendous faith. Surrender means acknowledging that God's wisdom is greater than mine. It means believing that He sees things I cannot see and understands things I do not yet understand. It means releasing my grip on outcomes and trusting Him to guide the process.
That kind of trust does not always come naturally. Most of us prefer certainty. We like having plans. We like knowing where we are going and how we are going to get there. We find comfort in having a sense of control. Yet some of the most important moments in my spiritual journey have occurred when God gently reminded me that I was never truly in control to begin with. Those moments forced me to decide whether I would continue relying on my own understanding or place my confidence in Him.
As difficult as those lessons were, I can now see the wisdom in them. There is a tremendous difference between something that survives because I am constantly holding it together and something that stands because God Himself is sustaining it. The things I have built through sheer determination often required endless effort to maintain. They depended on my strength, my energy, and my ability to solve every problem that arose. The things God has built have a completely different quality. They are marked by peace, stability, and a sense of confidence that does not come from human effort alone.
Life has taught me that storms are unavoidable. No one is exempt from hardship, disappointment, or uncertainty. Every person eventually faces situations that test their faith and challenge their assumptions. The question is not whether storms will come. The question is what kind of foundation we are standing on when they arrive. Over the years, I have experienced storms that shook things I once thought were permanent. I have watched plans unravel and circumstances change without warning. I have faced situations that forced me to reconsider what truly matters.
Through every one of those experiences, God has remained faithful. His consistency has become one of the greatest sources of comfort in my life. People change, circumstances change, and plans change, but God's character never changes. His promises remain trustworthy regardless of what is happening around me. His faithfulness remains constant regardless of how uncertain life may feel. Knowing that has given me a stability that no earthly achievement or carefully crafted plan could ever provide.
As I reflect on the past, I realize that some of the greatest blessings in my life emerged from situations that initially felt devastating. There were dreams that did not unfold the way I expected. There were opportunities that disappeared. There were seasons of waiting that felt endless. At the time, I struggled to understand why God was allowing those things to happen. Today, I can see how many of those experiences prepared me for blessings I could not have imagined at the time. God was not withholding something good from me. He was preparing something better.
One of the most beautiful aspects of God's character is His ability to redeem what appears broken. He has a way of taking our disappointments, failures, and mistakes and using them for purposes we could never have anticipated. There have been moments when I felt as though something important had been ruined beyond repair. Yet time and time again, God has taken those broken pieces and created something beautiful from them. He has transformed setbacks into opportunities, pain into growth, and disappointment into wisdom.
That truth has changed the way I view both my past and my future. I no longer see difficult seasons as evidence that God has abandoned me or forgotten His promises. Instead, I have learned to trust that He is often doing His most important work during those very moments. Even when I cannot see immediate results, I can trust that He is laying a foundation that will ultimately prove stronger than anything I could build on my own.
As I move forward, I find myself less interested in asking God to bless my plans and more interested in seeking His plans from the beginning. I still set goals. I still work hard. I still make plans for the future. The difference is that I hold those plans with open hands. I recognize that God's perspective is far greater than mine and that His purposes often exceed my expectations. My confidence is no longer rooted in my ability to make everything work. My confidence is rooted in His faithfulness.
When I look at the strongest and most meaningful parts of my life, I can see God's fingerprints all over them. The relationships that have endured, the lessons that have shaped me, the opportunities that have blessed me, and the growth that has occurred within me all point back to His guidance and His provision. Those are the things that have remained steady through life's inevitable challenges because they were built on a foundation stronger than my own efforts.
The future will undoubtedly bring new uncertainties, new challenges, and new opportunities to trust God. I do not know exactly what lies ahead, but I am no longer as concerned about that as I once was. Experience has taught me that God is trustworthy. He has proven Himself faithful through every season of my life. He has guided me through circumstances I never expected and carried me through situations I never would have chosen. Because of that history, I can face the future with confidence.
The greatest peace I have found comes from knowing that my life does not depend entirely on my own strength. It depends on the God who never fails. When I place my plans, my dreams, my disappointments, and my future into His hands, I can rest knowing that He is building something far stronger and far more lasting than anything I could ever construct on my own. If the Lord builds the house, it stands secure not because of human effort, but because it is anchored in the wisdom, faithfulness, and power of the One who holds all things together.

Comments