What Pocahontas Taught Me About Listening, Courage, and Following God’s Direction

When I was a young mother, I loved Pocahontas for its beautiful music, breathtaking scenery, and adventurous spirit. The colors of the wind, the flowing rivers, and the sense of freedom captured my imagination. As I’ve gotten older, however, I have come to appreciate the deeper lessons hidden within the story. While it is often remembered as a tale of adventure and discovery, I see it as a story about listening, courage, wisdom, and learning to follow the path set before us.


One of the things I admire most about Pocahontas is her willingness to listen. Throughout the film, she spends time observing the world around her. She listens to the wind, watches the river, and pays attention to the lessons nature teaches her. While others rush to conclusions or make decisions based on fear, Pocahontas takes time to seek understanding.


In today’s world, listening can feel like a lost art. We are surrounded by noise, opinions, and constant distractions. Everyone seems eager to speak, but fewer people are willing to truly listen. Yet some of life’s greatest wisdom is found in quiet moments. It is often when we slow down and listen that we begin to hear God’s direction more clearly.


There have been seasons in my life when I desperately wanted answers. I wanted God to reveal the entire plan and show me exactly what was coming next. Instead, He often invited me into stillness. He reminded me to stop striving for control and simply listen. Looking back, many of the clearest moments of guidance came not when I was pushing forward but when I was quiet enough to hear His voice.


Another lesson I take from Pocahontas is the importance of seeing beyond differences. Throughout the story, fear and misunderstanding create division between groups of people. Assumptions are made before anyone takes the time to truly know one another. Those assumptions nearly lead to tragedy.


How often does this happen in our own lives? We form opinions based on appearances, backgrounds, beliefs, or first impressions. We assume we understand someone without taking the time to hear their story. Yet every person we meet is carrying experiences, struggles, hopes, and dreams that we may never fully see.


Pocahontas teaches us that understanding begins with listening. It begins when we set aside our assumptions and choose curiosity over judgment. It begins when we remember that every person has value because every person is created by God.


One of the reasons this lesson resonates so deeply with me is because some of the most meaningful relationships in my life have come from taking the time to truly know someone. Often the people we think are different from us have more in common with us than we realize. We all want to be seen. We all want to be understood. We all want to know that we matter.


Another lesson I admire in Pocahontas is her courage to follow her convictions. There are moments throughout the story when she stands alone. The easier path would be to follow the expectations of those around her, but she chooses to follow what she believes is right.


That kind of courage is not always easy.


There are times in life when doing the right thing may not be the popular thing. There are moments when standing firm in our beliefs requires us to step away from the crowd. There are seasons when we must trust God’s leading even when others do not understand the path we are taking.


I have learned that faith often requires courage. Sometimes it means making difficult decisions. Sometimes it means walking through uncertainty. Sometimes it means trusting God even when the road ahead looks completely different than the one we envisioned.


When Tim’s PNES journey began, there were countless moments when we did not know what the future would hold. There were decisions to make, fears to face, and challenges we never expected. During those times, courage did not look dramatic. It looked like taking the next step. It looked like trusting God one day at a time. It looked like continuing forward even when we could not see the destination.


Pocahontas also reminds me of the importance of wisdom. Wisdom is different from knowledge. Knowledge helps us understand information. Wisdom helps us apply it. Throughout the story, Pocahontas seeks wisdom before making important decisions. She considers the consequences of her actions and looks beyond the immediate moment.


The older I get, the more I value wisdom. Life is rarely as simple as right versus wrong. Often we face complicated situations that require discernment, patience, and prayer. We need God’s guidance to help us navigate circumstances that do not have easy answers.


One of my favorite themes in the film is the idea that there is beauty all around us if we are willing to notice it. The famous song “Colors of the Wind” reminds us that the world is filled with wonder, purpose, and life. It encourages us to slow down and appreciate the beauty God has woven into creation.


That lesson feels especially important in a world that moves so quickly. We become consumed by responsibilities, deadlines, worries, and distractions. We rush from one task to the next and sometimes forget to pause and appreciate the blessings surrounding us.


Yet some of life’s most meaningful moments happen when we slow down enough to notice them. A sunrise. A conversation with a loved one. A prayer answered in an unexpected way. A moment of peace in the middle of a difficult season. These simple gifts often remind us of God’s presence more than anything else.


Perhaps the lesson that resonates most with me is that life is not always about choosing the easiest path. Sometimes the right path requires sacrifice. Sometimes it requires letting go of what is familiar. Sometimes it requires trusting God with an outcome we cannot control.


Pocahontas chooses a path that is not easy, but it is the path she believes is right. That decision requires strength, wisdom, and faith. It reminds me that following God’s direction is not always about comfort. Often it is about obedience.


When I think about Pocahontas now, I do not simply see a Disney princess standing beside a river. I see a woman who listened before she acted. I see someone who chose understanding over fear, courage over comfort, and wisdom over impulse. I see someone who trusted the path set before her even when it was difficult.


Most of all, I see a reminder that God often speaks in the quiet places. He guides us when we are willing to listen. He calls us to see people through His eyes. He invites us to walk forward with courage even when the future is uncertain.


Like Pocahontas, we may not always know where the river bends. We may not always understand what lies ahead. But we can trust that the One who created the river knows exactly where it leads. And when we follow Him, step by step, He will guide us exactly where we need to go.


Comments

Popular Posts