What Jasmine Taught Me About Knowing Your Worth and Finding Your Voice

When most people think of Jasmine from Aladdin, they often remember the magic carpet rides, the palace, the Genie, and the adventure that unfolds throughout the story. But as I have gotten older, I have found myself appreciating Jasmine for a different reason. Beneath the magic and excitement is a story about identity, courage, purpose, and learning to use your voice.


One of the things I admire most about Jasmine is that she refuses to let others define her. Throughout much of the story, people see her as a princess, a title, or a prize to be won. Decisions are made about her future without anyone asking what she wants. Expectations are placed upon her simply because of who she is.


Yet Jasmine knows there is more to her than the labels others assign to her.


I think many of us can relate to that feeling. Throughout life, people often make assumptions about who we are. They may see our job title, our role within a family, our circumstances, or even our struggles and assume that is the whole story. Sometimes we begin believing those labels ourselves. We allow them to determine what we think we are capable of becoming.


Jasmine reminds us that our identity is far greater than the labels placed upon us. As Christians, our worth is not found in what we do, what we own, or what others think of us. Our worth comes from being created and loved by God. Long before anyone else formed an opinion about us, God knew our value.


One of the most powerful lessons I take from Jasmine’s story is the importance of finding your voice. Throughout the film, she refuses to remain silent when something is wrong. She speaks up when she is treated unfairly. She challenges traditions that no longer serve the people around her. She expresses her thoughts even when others would prefer she remain quiet.


That lesson has become increasingly meaningful to me over the years.


There are many times in life when it feels easier to stay silent. We avoid difficult conversations because we do not want conflict. We keep our opinions to ourselves because we worry about criticism. We hesitate to share our stories because we fear being misunderstood.


Yet there are moments when God calls us to speak.


Sometimes that means speaking up for ourselves. Sometimes it means speaking up for someone who cannot speak for themselves. Sometimes it means sharing our experiences in the hope that they may encourage another person walking a similar path.


Finding your voice does not mean being the loudest person in the room. It means having the courage to speak truth when it matters. It means recognizing that your perspective, experiences, and story have value.


As someone who has spent time sharing our family’s PNES journey through Seizing Hope, I have come to appreciate how important it is to use our voices for a purpose. Stories have power. They educate. They encourage. They create understanding. Sometimes the words we almost choose not to share become the very words someone else needed to hear.


Another lesson I love from Jasmine’s story is her desire for freedom. She longs to experience life beyond the palace walls. She wants to understand the world for herself rather than living within the limits others have established for her.


While most of us may not live in a palace, many of us encounter our own kinds of walls. Sometimes those walls are fear. Sometimes they are self-doubt. Sometimes they are expectations we have accepted without question. Sometimes they are circumstances that make us feel trapped.


The older I get, the more I realize that freedom often begins in the mind and heart before it ever changes our circumstances. We become free when we stop allowing fear to make our decisions. We become free when we trust God’s plans more than our own worries. We become free when we embrace who He created us to be rather than trying to fit someone else’s expectations.


Jasmine also teaches us that courage and compassion can exist together. She is strong, but she is not unkind. She is confident, but she remains compassionate. She cares deeply about the people around her and uses her influence to help others.


That balance is something I greatly admire.


True strength is not about power over people. It is about using whatever influence we have to make a positive difference. It is about standing firm in our convictions while continuing to treat others with dignity and respect.


One of my favorite aspects of Jasmine’s character is that she dreams of something greater than comfort. She could have accepted the life that was expected of her and never questioned it. Instead, she desired a life filled with purpose and meaning.


I think God places that same desire within many of us. There is a difference between simply existing and truly living. Purpose gives meaning to our struggles, direction to our choices, and motivation to keep moving forward when life becomes difficult.


Purpose does not always mean doing something extraordinary in the eyes of the world. Often it means faithfully living out the calling God has placed on our hearts. It means loving people well, serving where we can, and using our gifts in ways that honor Him.


As I reflect on Jasmine’s story, I am reminded that confidence is not arrogance. Confidence comes from knowing who you are and whose you are. Jasmine does not become confident because others approve of her. She becomes confident because she understands her own worth.


That lesson is one many of us spend years learning.


The world constantly encourages us to seek validation from external sources. We look for approval, recognition, and acceptance. Yet those things can change quickly. God’s view of us never does. His love is not dependent on our achievements, appearance, or success. It is constant.


When I think about Jasmine now, I do not simply see a princess who wanted to explore the world beyond the palace walls. I see a woman learning to embrace her identity, speak her truth, and pursue a life filled with purpose. I see someone who refused to let fear or expectations determine her future.


Most of all, I see a reminder that every one of us has a voice worth using, a purpose worth pursuing, and a value that cannot be measured by the opinions of others. Jasmine teaches us that when we understand our worth, trust God’s plan, and have the courage to speak when it matters, we can step into the life we were created to live.


That may be one of the most powerful kinds of magic any Disney story can offer.


Comments

Popular Posts