What If We Saw Each Other Differently

Lately, I've found myself thinking about how quick we are to judge one another. It seems to happen everywhere. We hear a small piece of someone's story and assume we know the whole picture. We witness a single moment and decide what kind of person they are. We form opinions based on what we see on the surface, never stopping to consider what might be happening underneath. Sometimes the words we speak come so easily that we forget they carry weight. A careless comment, a harsh judgment, or an assumption made without understanding can leave wounds we never intended to create. The sad truth is that when we point fingers at others, everyone loses. The person on the receiving end is hurt, and little by little, our own hearts become harder as well.

The older I get, the more I realize how little we truly know about the people around us. Every person we meet is carrying something. Some burdens are visible, but most are hidden beneath the surface where no one else can see them. The person who seems impatient may be exhausted. The person who appears distant may be struggling with grief. The person who seems to have everything together may be fighting battles they have never shared with anyone. We often judge people based on a chapter of their story when we haven't taken the time to read the pages that came before it.

I think that is one of the reasons Jesus continually calls us to love one another. He understands what we so often forget—that every person is more than their mistakes, more than their struggles, and more than the labels others place on them. Jesus never looked at people the way the world did. While others focused on faults, He saw hearts. While others saw failures, He saw people worth loving. While others were quick to condemn, He was quick to offer grace. His example challenges me because I know how easy it is to fall into the trap of criticism instead of compassion.

When I look honestly at my own life, I realize that I have no room to stand in judgment over anyone else. I have made mistakes. I have said things I wish I could take back. I have fallen short more times than I can count. There have been seasons when I needed grace desperately and was thankful that God did not treat me according to my failures. Instead, He met me with mercy. He met me with forgiveness. He met me with love I did not deserve. If I am grateful for that grace in my own life, shouldn't I be willing to extend it to others?

Sometimes I wonder how different our world would look if we truly saw one another through God's eyes. What if we chose curiosity instead of assumptions? What if we offered understanding before criticism? What if we paused long enough to remember that every person we encounter is carrying joys, fears, wounds, and struggles we know nothing about? I think our conversations would change. I think our relationships would change. I think our communities would change. Most importantly, I think our hearts would change.

The reality is that we are all broken people living in a broken world. None of us have it all together. We all carry weaknesses. We all experience failures. We all wrestle with fear, doubt, disappointment, and pain. No amount of success, confidence, or outward appearance changes that truth. Deep down, we all share the same need for hope, healing, forgiveness, and grace.

That is why these words resonate so deeply with me: we all need Jesus. Not some of us. Not only the people who seem lost. Not only the people whose struggles are obvious. Every single one of us. Every day. Every hour. Every moment. We all need His wisdom when we don't know what to do. We all need His grace when we fall short. We all need His love when life feels overwhelming. We all need His presence to guide us through a world that often feels divided and hurting.

Perhaps the next time I am tempted to judge someone, I need to stop and remember how much grace God has shown me. Perhaps instead of pointing a finger, I should offer a hand. Instead of assuming the worst, I should choose compassion. Instead of focusing on someone's faults, I should remember that they are a person loved by God just as much as I am. What if we saw each other differently? What if we remembered that every person we meet is someone for whom Christ gave His life? I have a feeling it would change far more than we realize. It might even change everything.


 


Comments

Popular Posts