What Aurora Taught Me About Trusting God’s Timing
When people think of Aurora from Sleeping Beauty, she is often remembered as the princess who spent much of the story under a curse. Compared to some of the other Disney princesses, she does not have as much screen time, and her story is often overshadowed by the dramatic events happening around her. Now that I’ve reached middle age, I appreciate the quiet lessons hidden within Aurora’s journey.
At first glance, Aurora’s story seems to be about magic, curses, and true love. But beneath those familiar fairy tale elements is a story about trust, patience, and the reality that not everything in life unfolds according to our plans.
Aurora grows up believing she is someone entirely different than who she really is. Raised in the forest by the three good fairies, she knows little about her royal identity or the circumstances surrounding her birth. She spends much of her life unaware of the larger story unfolding around her.
Isn’t that true for many of us?
So often we only see a small piece of the picture. We make plans, set goals, and imagine how our lives should unfold. Yet God sees the entire story from beginning to end. While we focus on today’s challenges and tomorrow’s uncertainties, He is working within a much bigger plan than we can comprehend.
There have been many times in my own life when I wished I could see what was ahead. I wanted answers. I wanted certainty. I wanted to know how difficult situations would resolve and whether the prayers I was praying would eventually be answered. But life rarely works that way. Most of the time, we are asked to trust God one step at a time.
Aurora reminds me that not knowing everything is not a weakness. Sometimes it is simply part of the journey. God does not reveal every chapter in advance because He wants us to learn to trust the Author of the story rather than the details of the plot.
One of the lessons I take from Aurora’s story is that life can change unexpectedly. One moment she is enjoying a peaceful life in the forest, and the next everything she thought she knew is turned upside down. Suddenly she learns about her true identity, her royal responsibilities, and a future she never anticipated.
Most of us have experienced moments like that. A phone call changes everything. A diagnosis alters the future we imagined. A new opportunity appears when we least expect it. Life has a way of taking unexpected turns, and those turns often leave us feeling unprepared.
When Tim’s PNES journey began, our lives changed in ways we never could have predicted. The future we thought we understood suddenly looked very different. Plans shifted. Priorities changed. Questions replaced certainty. Like many people facing unexpected challenges, we found ourselves navigating a path we had never intended to walk.
Yet one thing I have learned is that God is not surprised by the chapters that surprise us.
While we are struggling to understand what is happening, He is already present in the situation. He is already providing strength, wisdom, and grace for the road ahead. He may not reveal every answer immediately, but He never abandons us in the middle of uncertainty.
Another lesson I see in Aurora’s story is the importance of patience. We live in a world that values speed. We want immediate answers, quick solutions, and instant results. Waiting is rarely enjoyable, especially when we are facing difficult circumstances.
Yet some of life’s most important lessons are learned while we wait.
Aurora’s story reminds me that God’s timing is often different than our own. The fulfillment of His plans does not always happen when we expect. Sometimes there are seasons of preparation before there are seasons of fulfillment. Sometimes there are chapters of waiting before there are chapters of breakthrough.
Looking back, I can see how many blessings in my life arrived after periods of waiting. At the time, those delays felt frustrating. I questioned why things were taking so long or why certain prayers seemed unanswered. Yet later I realized God was working behind the scenes in ways I could not see. He was preparing circumstances, shaping my heart, and teaching me lessons I would need for what was ahead.
Perhaps that is why patience is such an important part of faith. Patience is not simply waiting. It is trusting while we wait. It is believing that God is still working even when we cannot yet see the outcome.
One of the most beautiful aspects of Aurora’s story is the role of hope. Even when darkness seems to have the upper hand, the story never loses sight of the possibility of restoration. The curse may create obstacles, but it does not ultimately determine the ending.
That lesson speaks deeply to me because there are times in life when circumstances feel overwhelming. We encounter situations that seem impossible. We face losses we never expected. We carry burdens that feel heavier than we imagined we could bear.
In those moments, hope becomes essential.
Hope is not pretending everything is fine. Hope is choosing to believe that God is still present even when life feels difficult. Hope is trusting that the current chapter is not the final chapter. Hope is remembering that God’s plans are bigger than our current circumstances.
I’ve realized that faith often requires surrender. Aurora’s story is filled with things beyond her control. There are forces at work that she does not fully understand, yet the story continues moving toward redemption.
Life often feels the same way. There are situations we cannot fix, answers we cannot force, and outcomes we cannot control. We spend so much energy trying to manage every detail when sometimes God is inviting us to simply trust Him.
That does not mean giving up. It means placing our confidence in the One who sees what we cannot see. It means believing that even when the path ahead is unclear, God is still guiding our steps.
What I appreciate most about Aurora is that her story reminds me that God is always at work, even when we cannot see it. While Aurora spends much of the story unaware of the larger battle taking place around her, there are people working behind the scenes to protect her and fulfill a greater purpose.
How often is God doing the same thing in our lives?
There are blessings we never see, dangers we never know about, and prayers answered in ways we may not recognize until much later. God is constantly working behind the scenes, orchestrating details we could never manage on our own.
When I think about Aurora now, I do not simply see a princess under a curse. I see a reminder that life is not always about understanding every detail. Sometimes it is about trusting the One who does. I see a story about patience, hope, surrender, and faith.
Most of all, I see a reminder that God’s timing is always perfect, even when it does not align with our own. We may not understand every chapter as we are living it, but we can trust that the Author of our story knows exactly how it will unfold. And like Aurora, we can rest in the knowledge that even when life feels uncertain, God is still writing a beautiful ending.

Comments