My Chains Are Gone
There was a time in my life when I didn't realize how many chains I was carrying. They weren't visible to anyone around me, and yet they affected nearly every part of my life. They were made of fear, self-doubt, guilt, worry, and expectations that I could never seem to meet. Some were created by difficult experiences. Others came from words spoken by people I trusted. Many were forged by the stories I told myself about who I was and who I thought I needed to be.
The difficult thing about carrying chains is that after a while, you stop noticing them. Their weight becomes familiar. You learn how to function despite them, convincing yourself that everyone feels this burden and that this is simply what life is supposed to be. I spent years believing I had to be strong all the time. I believed I had to have the answers, solve the problems, and somehow keep everything together. When things didn't go according to plan, I blamed myself. When life became overwhelming, I questioned whether I was enough.
Those chains followed me into every season of my life. They whispered lies that sounded remarkably like truth. They told me I needed to do more, be more, and prove more. They convinced me that my value depended on my accomplishments, my ability to help others, or my success in meeting expectations. No matter how hard I tried, it always felt as though there was another standard to reach and another burden to carry.
Then life began teaching me lessons I never expected to learn. Through hardship, disappointment, uncertainty, and moments when I felt completely out of control, I started to understand something I had missed for years. I was carrying burdens that were never meant to belong to me. I was allowing fear to dictate my decisions and shame to define my identity. I had become so focused on earning worthiness that I had forgotten I already possessed it.
What changed wasn't my circumstances overnight. Life didn't suddenly become easy. Problems didn't disappear, and challenges continued to arise. What changed was my perspective. Slowly, I began to understand the difference between carrying responsibility and carrying unnecessary weight. I learned that there is a tremendous difference between striving and surrendering. I discovered that peace does not come from controlling everything around us. It comes from trusting that we do not have to.
Faith played a significant role in that transformation. It reminded me that I am loved not because of what I accomplish but because of who I am. It taught me that grace is not something that must be earned. It is a gift that is freely given. For years, I had been trying to prove my worth when the truth was that my worth had never been in question. Once I began to understand that, the chains started to loosen.
The process was not immediate. Some chains fell away quickly. Others took years to break. There were old fears that resurfaced and familiar doubts that tried to reclaim their place in my life. Healing rarely happens in a single moment. More often, it happens through countless small decisions to let go, trust more deeply, and refuse to believe the lies that once held us captive. Each step forward brought a little more freedom.
Today, when I look back on those seasons, I see them differently. I no longer view them only as times of struggle. I see them as the places where I learned some of life's most important lessons. They taught me resilience. They taught me humility. They taught me compassion for others who are carrying burdens of their own. Most importantly, they taught me that freedom begins when we stop allowing fear, shame, and regret to define who we are.
When I say my chains are gone, I am not saying my life is perfect. I am not saying I never worry or that I have all the answers. What I mean is that those things no longer control me. The fear no longer owns me. The shame no longer defines me. The mistakes of my past no longer determine my future. The burdens I once carried so tightly no longer have a grip on my heart.
There is a beautiful kind of freedom that comes when we finally lay down what was never ours to carry. It is the freedom to breathe deeply, to trust fully, and to move forward without constantly looking over our shoulders. It is the freedom to embrace who we are, imperfections and all, knowing that our value has never depended on perfection. It is the freedom to live with hope rather than fear.
My chains are gone, not because I broke them by my own strength, but because I finally learned that I was never meant to wear them. In their place, I have found peace, grace, and a deeper understanding of what it truly means to be free. That freedom is not something I take for granted, because I remember what it felt like to live without it. And now that I know the difference, I have no desire to ever pick those chains up again.

Comments