Seizing Hope

Hope is a funny thing. Before life changed, I thought hope was something that naturally followed good circumstances. Hope was making plans for the future, looking forward to vacations, dreaming about retirement, and assuming tomorrow would look somewhat like today. It was easy to be hopeful when life felt predictable and the road ahead seemed clear.

Then life reminded me how quickly everything can change.

When Tim collapsed and began seizing in March of 2024, our world shifted in ways we never could have imagined. What started as a terrifying medical emergency became the beginning of a journey filled with uncertainty, questions, and challenges we never expected to face. The life we had carefully built together suddenly looked very different. Instead of planning for the future, we found ourselves focused on doctor appointments, tests, paperwork, disability applications, and simply trying to understand what was happening.

If I am being honest, there were many moments when hope felt difficult to find. There were days filled with fear, days filled with frustration, and days when I felt completely exhausted. As a caregiver, you quickly learn how to keep moving forward even when your heart is tired. You make the phone calls, keep track of appointments, advocate when needed, and try to be the steady person everyone else can lean on. Yet beneath all of that strength is often a person carrying their own grief, worries, and uncertainty.

For a long time, I thought hope meant believing everything would eventually go back to the way it was before. I wanted the life we had planned. I wanted the certainty we once enjoyed. I wanted answers, timelines, and guarantees. What I eventually learned, however, is that hope is not tied to getting our old life back. Hope is learning to live fully in the life we have now, even when it looks nothing like the one we imagined.

Over the past two years, I have discovered that hope is not a feeling that magically appears when circumstances improve. Hope is a choice we make every day. It is choosing to get out of bed when we don't know what challenges the day may bring. It is choosing to pray when we don't have answers. It is choosing to trust God even when the future feels uncertain. Hope is not pretending everything is okay. It is acknowledging the difficulties while believing they do not get the final word.

One of the things this journey has taught me is how much beauty can still exist in difficult seasons. Before all of this happened, I often rushed through life without noticing the small moments. Now, those moments feel precious. A day without a seizure. A peaceful evening on the deck. A laugh shared after a difficult week. A text message from a friend checking in. A quiet conversation over coffee. These moments may seem ordinary, but they have become reminders that joy still exists, even in the midst of hardship.

I have also learned that resilience grows in places we never wanted to visit. None of us would choose pain, uncertainty, or struggle. Yet when we are forced to walk through them, we often discover strengths we never knew we possessed. Looking back, I can see countless moments when I felt certain I could not carry one more burden, only to find the strength to take another step. Sometimes that strength came through faith. Sometimes it came through the encouragement of others. Sometimes it simply came from the realization that giving up was not an option.

There have been many times when I questioned what our future would look like. There are still days when those questions linger. Living with uncertainty is not easy. Human nature wants answers. We want to know how things will turn out and when difficult chapters will end. Yet faith often asks us to trust without having all the details. It asks us to believe that God is present even when we cannot see the entire path ahead.

Throughout this journey, I have come to realize that hope is not found at the end of the road. It is found along the way. It is found in the courage to keep moving forward when fear would tell us to stop. It is found in the willingness to embrace each day as it comes. It is found in the belief that our circumstances may shape our story, but they do not define our worth, our purpose, or our future.

The phrase "Seizing Hope" became meaningful to me because hope is not always something that simply appears. Sometimes we must actively reach for it. Sometimes we must choose it over fear, over discouragement, and over despair. Sometimes we must hold on tightly even when everything around us feels uncertain. Seizing hope means believing that difficult seasons are chapters, not conclusions. It means trusting that light still exists, even when the darkness feels overwhelming.

Today, life remains different than the one Tim and I envisioned. There are still challenges to navigate and difficult days to endure. Yet there is also gratitude. There is purpose. There is faith. There is love. Most importantly, there is hope. Not because everything has been fixed, and not because every question has been answered, but because we have learned that hope does not depend on perfect circumstances. Hope comes from knowing that no matter what tomorrow holds, we do not face it alone.

As I reflect on this journey, I realize that hope has carried us farther than we ever could have carried ourselves. It has sustained us through the hardest days and reminded us to keep looking forward when it would have been easier to look back. It has taught me that strength is often quieter than we imagine and that courage sometimes looks like simply getting up and trying again.

Perhaps that is what seizing hope truly means. It means choosing faith when fear feels easier. It means finding gratitude in the midst of uncertainty. It means believing that even broken roads can lead somewhere beautiful. And it means trusting that while we may not know what lies ahead, there is still goodness, purpose, and hope waiting for us around the next bend in the road.

Over time, I began to realize that if we had felt this lost, confused, and alone, there were likely countless other families feeling the same way. Families desperately searching for answers. Caregivers wondering if anyone truly understood what they were carrying. Individuals living with PNES trying to navigate a condition that so few people seem to understand. I kept wishing for a place where people could find reliable information, encouragement, practical resources, and most importantly, the reassurance that they were not walking this road alone.

What started as a desire to help others slowly grew into something bigger. The more we shared our story, the more people reached out. The more we learned, the more we wanted to pass that knowledge on. And the more we witnessed God's faithfulness through our own struggles, the more we felt called to create something that could offer hope to others.

That is how our website was born.

Seizing Hope was created from the hardest chapter of our lives, but it was also created from a belief that difficult stories can still have purpose. It was built from late-night prayers, hard-earned lessons, tears, faith, and a determination to turn our pain into something that might help someone else. If our journey can help even one person feel less alone, more understood, or more hopeful about the future, then every step of this road has carried meaning.

Our story is still being written. We do not know exactly where this journey will lead, but we do know this: hope is worth holding onto. Hope is worth sharing. And sometimes, the very thing that breaks your heart becomes the thing that opens it wide enough to help others.

That is what Seizing Hope means to us. And that is how Seizing Hope was born.

Seizing-Hope.com

Comments

Popular Posts